From furniture to rugs to pottery and everything in between, West Elm is a stylish and thriving business dedicated to a fashionable and sustainable future. According to their website, at least 60% of purchases support one or more of their sustainability initiatives. For the past four years, they have remained on Barron’s 100 Most Sustainable Companies.
But what if you find yourself needing to return an item purchased from West Elm, whether it be a gift you received or something you purchased that you changed your mind about?
Read on to learn the ins and outs of West Elm’s return and exchange policies.
What is West Elm’s return policy?
Most West Elm items can be refunded within the 30 day window of either purchasing or receiving the item if ordered via mail. Required for a refund is the original receipt, gift receipt, and proof of purchase.
For gift registry items, items may be returned within 90 days of the scheduled event or 90 days after purchase – whichever date is later.
|Return Deadline||30 business days|
|Return Methods||By mail or in store|
|Exchange Period||30 business days|
|Exchange Method||By mail|
|Refund Period||7 business days|
|Refund Method||Original payment method or store credit|
How to return a West Elm product
Eligible West Elm products can be returned one of three ways. Keep in mind that West Elm outlet stores do not accept any returns.
- In store – eligible items that aren’t furniture can be returned for free to any West Elm store, regardless of which West Elm store location you purchased your item from
- By mail – products shipped to you can be returned through the mail with a UPS shipping label. Whether you’ll be responsible for return shipping costs depends upon your reason for the return.
- To return an item by mail, start by making an online return where a shipping label and instructions for return will be provided to you.
- By phone – large items such as furniture have to be arranged for pick up by calling West Elm’s Customer Care line at 1-888-922-4119.
Online or in store returns are only eligible for purchases made and shipped within the United States. If you need to return an item that was shipped to another country, authorization from the Customer Care team is required. West Elm’s Customer Care line can be reached by phone or email:
- US: 1-888-922-4119
- Canada: 1-855-860-1082
- Other countries: 1-405-717-6122
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Does West Elm accept returns after 30 days?
West Elm accepts returns for eligible items 30 days after either purchase or delivery. The only exceptions to this rule are gift registry items, which can be returned either 90 days from the event or 90 days after purchase, whichever date is later.
What items cannot be returned to West Elm?
Items that cannot be returned to West Elm are as follows:
- Items not accompanied by an original or gift receipt
- Monogrammed items
- Custom, made-to-order items
- Gift cards
- Final sale items
- Items damaged through wear and tear
Does West Elm have free returns?
In-store returns with West Elm are free. This isn’t necessarily true for returns via mail – you may be responsible for return shipping fees, depending on the reason for return.
Who pays the return shipping charge?
Depending on the reason for the return, you might be on the hook for return shipping costs. If so, keep in mind that return shipping costs are non-refundable.
How long do West Elm refunds take?
West Elm refunds processed as merchandise credit are immediately loaded onto a West Elm gift card. Cash or check purchases that exceed $100 are issued as a company check and mailed. This can take up to 14 days.
How are refunds processed?
- Original receipt (either paper or electronic) – Returns accompanied by original receipt are refunded in the form of payment used for purchase.
- Gift receipt – these returns will be processed in merchandise credit in a West Elm gift card.
- Purchases made by cash or check – will be refunded via cash or debit card, unless the purchase exceeds $100, in which case payment will be processed via company check that will be mailed to you.
What is West Elm’s return policy without a receipt?
While having the original receipt is usually the fastest and easiest option and is required for your refund to be processed with the original payment method, West Elm will accept the following as proof of purchase:
- Original receipt, paper or electronic
- Gift receipt, paper or electronic
- Order number
- Packing slip with visible order number
- Gift registry number
Can I return items on sale?
Items designated as final sale are non-refundable. In general, final sale items are marked by the prices ending in either $.99 or $.97. West Elm Outlet stores don’t accept refunds of any kind.
Can I return West Elm products after use?
No. Items must be in original condition with no signs of wear and tear.
For example, if you purchase a plate from West Elm and eat off it before returning it and there are visible signs of wear on the plate, like knife scratches or faint chipping, then it won’t be eligible for refund – even if you try to return it within 30 days.
Does West Elm have a warranty?
There is no warranty on West Elm items. However, in the case of damaged or defective merchandise, call West Elm’s Customer Care Center.
Other Brands’ Policies
No one plans on returning an item they’ve purchased. But if you change your mind about an item or find that a rug looked better in West Elm’s online catalog than in your own living room, then make sure to do the following:
- Keep original receipt, shipping label, and order number
- Keep track of the date you purchased the item in store or the delivered to your door
- If buying an item as a gift for someone, include gift receipt
No. However, you will need proof of purchase and the item must show no signs of wear and tear.
Can you return a West Elm item after 30 days?
No, except for gift registry items, which can be returned within 90 days of the event or purchase – whichever date is later.
How do I return large items such as furniture?
You must arrange for pickup of large items by calling West Elm’s Customer Care Center.. Furniture cannot be refunded in store.