Many of the customers have asked through our website – How long does it take to get hired at Walmart?
We have answered this question in detail here.
Walmart is a US-based retail corporation operating chains of discount stores and grocery stores. Sam Walton found the company in 1969. They also own a retail store chain by the name of Sam’s Club. The company owns and operates 11,484 stores across 27 countries. Walmart also operates its stores in the UK, Japan, Canada, Chile, and Argentina.
Follow these 11 steps to get hired at Walmart
Getting hired for your dream job is no small feat and everybody likes to do better on the D-day. Here are 11 points that you can focus on to get successful at your next chance. We have tried to provide you every detail for your query.
>> 1. Dress the Part
There is a saying that the first impression is the last impression and nothing can beat the first impression. Your appearance will not only improve your performance but it will also improve your confidence.
Prepare for your interview with the attire you want to wear on that day and rehearse 2-3 times with those outfits. Try to keep yourself neat and tidy, ensure that your hair is short and not flunky and you have cleaned your fingernails. Also, do not wear heavy jewelry and tattoos.
>> 2. Research the Company and Role
After applying for the role, search for everything about the company. Start by visiting the company’s website and seeking full information on the sectors that the company operates and its policies for its employees.
Research about the kind of the person the company wants and you can also visit websites such as Glassdoor to read about reviews of employees and compensation with respect to the competitors.
>> 3. Prepare Insightful Interview Questions
When you are giving an interview, you should be looking interested to the interviewer and in no way, they should feel that you are not fully into the role and are giving the interview just for the sake of giving.
You should not start by asking too obvious things that you can easily find on the company’s website. You should ask questions such as “What will be the value-addition of my experience in organizational growth? and “What does the typical day-to-day look like for someone in this role?”
>> 4. Show Up on Time
You should start your day early than you usually do and try to reach 10 minutes earlier at the venue and still if you feel that you will get late, due to some unavoidable circumstances, call the POC and inform him/her about your late coming.
>> 5. Know Your Interviewers
If you get to know about your interviewers, try to know their names beforehand and their area of expertise and it would be great if you address them by calling out their names between Q&A.
This will definitely leave a great impression on the interviewers.
>> 6. Smile and Be Courteous
According to a study by Harris Poll, around 68% of the job candidates do fail in making eye contact with the interview panel and it may lead interviewers to think that you are paying attention. On the other hand, nearly 40% of the candidates fail to smile, during interviews
Smiling and maintaining eye-contact during interview strongly supports your candidature and try to smile, shake hands and maintain eye contact during interviews
>> 7. Be Careful of What You Say and Do While Waiting
There might be a time during the interview that you will have to wait for a while before giving the interview. Do not keep on engaging on your phone and scrolling through it for a long time would not create a good impression. We never know who is watching us.
To utilize your waiting time properly, you can rehearse your skills in your mind and there is no worry in preparing all the stuff once more before going there.
>> 8. Don’t Look for a Perfect Job
If you come across any career expert and ask him/her about the perfect job, his/she would answer that there is nothing like a perfect job and it is existent in other worlds only. When you start your job search, let go of perfectionism and you will be able to venture into better areas as your career grows.
>> 9. Gear Up Well
Preparing for your dream job is a must. Starting from submitting a resume to sending a cover letter to your employer, everything should be in perfect order and you should spend a good amount of time in creating an impressive resume. Try to mold your cover letter, according to the needs of the employer.
>> 10. Network Extensively (But not blindly)
You should be good at networking. To enhance your chances of getting a job real quick, try to make influential connections both online and offline. Make a strong LinkedIn profile and add influential people in it and keep your profile active by sharing good content.
In any case, don’t waste your time networking blinding. Try to make connections with the people, who will benefit you in your career growth.
>> 11. Don’t Let Rejections Discourage You
If you are getting rejections regularly and you are heavily discouraged, remember that you are just one step away from getting your job and remember that not every job fits you, and not every company will look to hire you. Continue your job search and when there will be perfect alignment between your job and your profile, no one in the world will be able to stop you from getting the job. If your job search has been extended, then you need to really work this out and bounce back.
How long do the interviews usually take at Walmart?
The interview process generally takes 1-2 days and the process altogether depends on your store location and job you are applying for.
Interview of one candidate took 15 minutes and he got selected for Walmart. On the other hand, one candidate had to give 4 interviews within a matter of 3 hours with different managers.
How long does it take to hear back after applying to Walmart?
When you are done with the background check and drug test, company officials will inform you about the next steps. It takes around 2 days after the checking of your background to get a call from HR about the dates of orientation and finalized location and payroll.
However, everything depends on case to case and it may also take you 1-2 months to hear back from your HR.
How to Get a Job at Walmart: All steps explained
Walmart is counted among the top job providers in the industry and you will have to first visit the website of the company to move your dream of getting into the company forward.
Here we have enclosed some steps that you need to follow to get a job in the company:
1. Firstly, you need to look for job openings at the company’s website and find a relevant job opening adhering to your work experience. Visit this link to go to the company’s careers page.
2. Whenever you find a job related to your experience, you will have to create your job account by visiting this link. Enter your username and password in the login portal and proceed
3. The very next thing that you need to do is to complete the application form given on the website. While filling the application form keep your documents and forms one side. You can fill the form here
4. Complete the assessment: After you fill out the basic application, you will have to take a 65 question test that lasts about 30 minutes. The test covers how you interact with coworkers and guests. It may cover math skills and reading comprehension depending on the position you apply for
5. After you have applied in the company, you need to contact your nearest retail store and contact the HR manager of that particular location. Tell them about your application and confirm the receipt of your application
6. Go to your first interview round and try to be professional as this round is likely to be qualifier round for the second round
7. Go for the second round of interview and try to answer all the questions properly, as this round is more likely to be the last round of interview and after this, you may land a job at Walmart
8. Walmart will conduct a background check based on criminal background and credit history. If you do not have any grave issues with your background history, you are good to go
9. The last stage of the selection process is the drug test, wherein you need to clear the drug test, and only then you are allowed to work with Walmart. Don’t do drugs and stay clean
Walmart is one of the largest and most prestigious recruiters in the world and recruits annually for various positions across regions.
We have tried our best to provide the best of insights and information related to the selection process and its various aspects at Walmart.
We understand that there are always a few queries or questions that are left unanswered and you can always ping us in case you feel that a certain section is missing.
Do let us know about your feedback in the comments section.