Shipping companies need dry ice for cold chain solutions and there are not many alternatives to dry ice in the market. So Does Walmart Sell Dry Ice? Yes, Walmart sells dry ice at its locations and store. Also, you can get dry ice through online mode but the company will charge you delivery and shipping ice.
Walmart is a US-based retail corporation operating chains of discount stores and grocery stores. Sam Walton found the company in 1969. They also own a retail store chain by the name of Sam’s Club.
The company owns and operates 11,484 stores across 27 countries. Walmart also operates its stores in the UK, Japan, Canada, Chile, and Argentina.
Firstly, you need to know what dry ice is and where it is used by the companies. We have tried to provide you every detail for your query.
What is dry ice?
Solid-state CO2 is also termed as dry ice and it finds it primarily as a cooling agent. The benefits of using dry ice include less temperature as compared to the normal ice and most importantly it does not any residue. Most of the cold supply chain companies use dry ice in their trucks to preserve food in case there is no availability of mechanical cooling
Usually, it sublimates at 194.65 K (−78.5 °C; −109.3 °F) at 1 atm pressure. You need to be extra careful while handling dry ice, as it can cause frostbite if not handled properly
Also, the outgassing from it can cause hypercapnia (abnormally elevated carbon dioxide levels in the blood) due to buildup in confined locations.
The most important use of dry ice is in food preservation applications and most of the cold supply chain solution providers benefit from it.
Pharmaceutical and FMCG companies benefit the most from the use of dry ice in the preservation of ice cream and biological samples and companies need not use mechanical cooling or normal ice.
Other uses of dry ice include:
- Flash freezing of food
- Flash freezing of biological samples
- Making ice cream and carbonated drinks
- It is also used to stop the melting of ice walls and sculptures
Other prominent use of dry ice can be in the prevention of insects to enter food containers or in grain storage tanks. Dry ice will displace the oxygen from container, making it difficult for insects to breed there without changing the taste and texture of the product
Dry ice in the water
If you place dry ice in water, you will observe dense clouds of fog and sublimation will start. These features of dry ice are not only used by theatre owners but also in 4-D or 6-D shows. Movie producers also use these effects in their movies.
The key feature of the fog originated from dry ice is that the fog hovers near ground unlike the fog created by artificial machines, which rises to a certain height. Do remember that the fog originates from the water where dry ice is placed not from the dry ice itself
Wart removal is also performed using dry ice by freezing it. However, liquid nitrogen performs better than dry ice as it is much colder, less pressure and it also needs less time to react
Does Walmart sell dry ice?
You can visit any of the Walmart stores and they will have dry ice in stock. You just need to know the store timings, as most of the stores are only open from 8 am to 10 pm.
Penguin brand dry ice is the most famous dry ice that the company sells; you can order dry ice from the company by visiting this link.
Like Walmart, Amazon also sells dry ice and you can order for your favorite brand of dry ice here.
To order dry ice from Target, click here.
You can pay to the company in the form of cash, credit card, and debit cards.
Alternatives to dry ice
When it comes to the alternatives of dry ice, there are not many and the customers have very limited options to start with.
We have listed a few alternatives that are being developed or have been deployed as an alternative to dry ice. Take a look at the below list:
- Hydro freeze: Hydro freeze is ice packs that have reengineered and use phase-change liquid. The best thing about these ice packs is that they are not only safe to be used in food-related applications, but they are certified by FDA and FSA for use in temperatures below -15°C when used with our insulated systems. Hydro freeze ice packs are generally safer and the same cost alternative to dry ice and they also have no supply shortage like dry ice.
- You can buy these packs in the sizes of your choice and these packs are never out of supply.
- These packs are food safe, and they use a 6 stage filtration process and UV light sterilization.
- If you are wondering about the burst strength of these packs, then these packs have a burst strength of 200 KG, which is quite high.
- These can be easily recycled.
- These are available in different sizes and can be tailored according to your needs and requirements.
- Fully printable, from relatively low minimum order quantities.
- Flexible even when frozen.
GEL PACK PRO -21
Gel packs are the most used alternatives for dry ice. On similar lines we have Gel Pack PRO-21 as the product; this product is majorly manufactured for cold supply chain solutions.
These maintain temperatures of -15 to 25. Also, these do not get too cold unlike dry ice and can be handled without the fear of getting frostbite. Companies do not label this product as hazardous and can be used in multiple applications depending on end-use
HDPE PCM -21
Another product on our list is HDPE PCM-21. This product is also a close alternative to dry ice. This item consists of filling of a phase change material.
This product also maintains the temperature range of -15 to 25 and it is a good alternative to dry ice and the best quality of this product is its ability to provide cooling for a longer period of time.
The item does not come in the category of hazardous material and it can be used without any added precautions
Reasons why companies are looking to find alternatives for dry ice
- Cost: You can get dry ice at $1 to $3 per pound. Moreover, it melts too quickly, making shippers have 5 to 25 lbs for 1-2 days of package and it is mostly out of stock due to high demand
- Unstable performance: There is one more issue with dry ice, it could get really cold at temperatures could reach -109. It can melt within 3 days and if your carriage stops or gets delayed due to some issues, you could face problems with your food items
- Instead of using dry ice, shippers also pack gel packs as an alternative to the dry packs.
- Safety: Dry ice can cause frostbite and hypothermia and it can cause safety issues with the health of the people, it can cause too much CO2 in the bloodstream putting stress on the lungs and making it difficult to breathe.
Walmart sells dry ice of different brands and types to its customers through online and offline mode.
We have tried our best to provide the best of insights and information related to the sales of dry ice at Walmart.
We understand that there are always a few queries or questions that are left unanswered and you can always ping us in case you feel that a certain section is missing.
Do let us know about your feedback in the comments section.