Everyone knows about Apple and its products. But, do you know how to return a defective product or didn’t like your purchase? No worries, we are here to help you with all the required anecdotes regarding Apple’s Return Policy.
The tech giant provides a relatively small window for making the return. Read on to know every important detail of the policy to ensure hassle-free returns.
Return window offered by Apple Return Policy
The period for return – 14 days
Apple return policy allows you a return period of 14 days. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase or it didn’t match your specifications, you can quickly return or exchange most of the items within the return period counted from the day you received the product.
Just make sure the product is unmarked, undamaged and like-new condition. It implies that you can even return an opened package until and unless it is not damaged.
This return policy is only applicable to products bought directly from the Apple store or its website.
You cannot expect Apple to accept returns for your Amazon purchase. In that case, the retailer’s return policy would be applicable. Check out the Amazon return policy here.
- Apple Watch can be returned only if they are returned in an undamaged condition.
- In the case of the iPhone, iMac, and iPod, returning the product might not get your subscription cancelled. Remember to unsubscribe before proceeding with returns to prevent any wastage of your money.
- If you made any modifications to the system software, you would not be considered for replacement under any conditions. Also, this is illegal!
- Apple has built-in safety features to prevent any theft or loss of the product. If you mistakenly activate these features and not able to undo it, you might lose your right to return or exchange.
- Return of 10 or more of the same product has to be done in-store only.
- you’ll miss out on your Upgrade Option If you request a return on AppleCare+ portion of your iPhone Upgrade Program,
What all products come under their return policy?
Apple Watch Return Policy
Apple Watch can be returned only if they are returned in an undamaged condition. Return window is same as of other products that is 14-days.
As per the standard rules, you can’t return the purchased software to Apple. But exceptions are always there.
You can return an installed software which has a license number printed on it, provided you don’t break the seal of the package.
In case of soft copies, if you haven’t agreed to the terms and conditions and you do not retain any copy of the software you can return it for the full amount.
iTunes or App Store Returns
Usually, these items are not eligible for return for a simple reason – people would use the policy as free trials.
But, you can return them within 90 days or if the order was placed by accident.
Just fill out the return form with your reason for the return, and Apple will decide whether to refund or not.
In case of unpaid/partly paid orders, you would have to make the payment before sending it for return. In case of subscriptions, you can request a refund or cancel the subscription.
The following is the list of items which you can’t return:
- Electronic Software Downloads
- Apple Print Products
- Apple Developer products (technical support incidents, membership, WWDC tickets)
- Software Up-to-Date Program Products
- Apple Store Gift Cards
How to Return?
You can return the products bought online both in-store or via mail. To return your product to Apple, you just have to provide the receipt and the product in an undamaged or resalable condition.
You can return items only in the country you bought it in. Below steps explain how to proceed with both the processes to ensure smooth returns.
Return to their Local Store
The items purchased offline can only be returned to the local store while the online purchases have both the options. Just follow the following simple steps:
- Collect documents related to your purchase. These include:
Receipt or invoice.
- All the items you got on the delivery, i.e. all the cords, documentation, and adapters. (All in original packaging)
- Visit the customer desk at your nearest Apple store along with the above documents To locate the nearest store refer to the Apple store locator.
- Reach out to the customer representative at the store. He/she would inspect the items for any damage.
Once clear, you are good to get the refund back in the original form of payment
Return your Apple items through Mail
The items purchased from Apple can be shipped back to the store to process your return. How? Follow the steps below:
- Sign in by typing in your Apple ID and Password to your order listing page.
- From your order, select the items you would like to return from your recent orders. You’d be redirected to the Order Details Page.
- Click on the ‘Start a Return’ link below the item details and click on the ‘Get Started’ button. Again on the next redirected page, click on the ‘Initiate your Return’ button after confirming the items to be returned.
- Read the instructions and click on the ‘Print Return Label’ to get your shipping labels. For multiple returns, click the button multiple times. Simple!
- Pack all the things you had received with the product and ship it to the nearest store address. You can arrange for a pickup from your home or drop off at the carrier’s locations at your convenience.
- Once, the products are received at the store, you will get your refund in a few days.
In case you are shipping a product of over $2,500 cost, from Puerto Rico to the US, you will need to locate the product code, file an export declaration and then follow the above rules. Visit here for more details on the process.
What to do if you got a gift which was not quite what you wanted? Return it! Follow the below steps to return a gift via mail (in case of store returns, the steps as mentioned above will be applicable)
- Log in to your Apple Account and select ‘Return a Gift.’
- Enter the product serial number or order number. In the case of the latter, you would also need to give the UPC number printed on the product packaging. You will get a list of items eligible for return
- Select the concerned item, provide your contact information and click on ‘Continue.’
- Print the Return Label and follow the above steps for your return
- You will get your refund in the form of an Apple Store Gift Cards
Once, the products reach Apple (and it is eligible for returns), the refund is initiated almost immediately. Apple provides refunds in the original mode of payment:
- Payment by Debit/Credit Card: The refund will be sent to the card-issuing bank within 5 working days of receipt of the item.
- Paid using an Apple Store Gift Card: You will be repaid in the form of a gift card, sent to your e-mail.
- Paid in Cash or Check: For purchase value of $750 or more, you’ll get your refund check through mail within ten business days.
- If your product needs to be inspected from the company’s side, you’ll get your money within ten business days.
Apple Exchange Policy
An in-store purchase can be exchanged for another item by taking it to the nearest Apple store with the product would like to buy in place of your previous one.
It’s better to check that your desired product is available in the store by calling them at 1-800-676-2775 or checking if the product online for availability of in-store pickup.
Contact the store to confirm if your customized products are eligible to return. All damaged or incorrect shipments are eligible for a return, and you can do so by following the same procedure.
Apple Holiday Return Policy
Apple understands that holidays are a busy time and makes your life a little easier by extending its return period.
The company announces an extended period from time to time. For example, items purchased from the company’s Online Store received b/w November 15, 2020, and December 25, 2020, would be eligible to return by January 8, 2021.
The applicable dates vary from country to country, so it’s better to confirm the extended period before you delay the return.
All other rules and regulations remain intact, i.e. you cannot return your Apple Store gift card and other exceptions to the store.
Apple Gift Cards
If you are looking to give some useful present, Apple Gift Cards are a good option that can be considered.
It saves you the effort of selecting the right product and allows your loved ones to get what they want. There are two types of gift cards that can be purchased online from Apple:
- iTunes Gift Cards – These are also available for purchase at iTunes Stores and can be redeemed for songs, albums, audiobooks, videos, and games on the iTunes Store. They cannot be used to buy Apple products and can be purchased in any amount between $10-$500.
- Apple Store Gift Cards – Apple Store Gift Cards can be purchased from Apple.com in any amount between $25-$2000 or over the phone at 1‑800‑MY‑APPLE for any dollar amount. These can be used at any US store or online.
What is the Apple Customer Service Number?
You can call Customer support at 1-800-676-2775
Can I return opened Apple Products?
Yes, you can return them if they are in undamaged condition. Also, the Apple staff might inspect the product for eligibility.
What to do if I lost my receipt?
Usually, you can locate your receipt via an e-mail that you might have got or the card with which you paid if these options are unavailable contact the customer care to help you out.
Can I gift Apple products outside of the US?
Yes, you can send gifts to select countries. Find more information here or call 1-866-910-6558 for more details.
Does Apple offer in-store pickup?
Yes, but on a few items only. Visit the website for more details.
We all love Apple products as they provide exceptional value and services. The company thrives on Steve Jobs legacy. But exceptions are always there; products may damage while in transit or some of them may come out defected from the manufacturing facilities.
The whole idea of this article is that customers should not get stuck with the product they can’t use! If you still have some unanswered questions on the topic, feel free to comment down them below.
We also encourage you to share your experiences with us below 🙂